Flying is not what it used to be. You see it has been quite some time since I have flown, 18 years to be exact. Sitting gazing out the plane’s window I am enjoying the natural formations of the land from a bird’s eye. But this plane is packed, cramped, and not a single person seems happy. Grant says it is because it is early in the morning. I don’t believe it. Come on, everyone has got to be going somewhere they are excited about. Really? Getting through the airport was super efficient. I just loved checking a duffle bag full of ice axes, crampons, knives, and pointy trail poles. A bag full of weaponry, the best kind. Oh and all the security checks were interesting, very. People really have the system down. I kept looking for instructional signs with details on what to do. Grant just quietly gave quick instructions as we passed through each check point, which was super helpful. I felt like an out of it little kid.
As I sit here my heart is racing from excitement in anticipation of actually starting our journey. I cannot believe the time has come. My inbox is zero, another school year is finished, and my to do lists have disappeared. Quite amazing really.
After we arrive in Durango we have a shuttle service taking us to Pagosa Springs. The best part is we will be meeting Wired, my hiker friend and super blogger. Many of you are very familiar with her adventure as she has just finished hiking through all of New Mexico. Silly Chili and I will be joining a fun and experienced group of CDT thru-hikers to trek through the snowy San Juan Mountain Range. Super scary and awesome. We can’t wait to meet everyone.
This summer I will again be posting an online trail journal bringing pics, experiences, videos, and hopefully entertainment.
Ways to follow our journey:
- Lady on a Rock Facebook page
- Do not miss a single post by signing up to receive new updates by email. Just add your email address under “Get Post Updates” in the right hand sidebar.
- Follow my Pinterest board “Continental Divide Trail Journal“
- Track us on a Google map using FollowMee from the Track Me tab at the top.
- View our CDT Resupply schedule to send care packages from the top menu. Turns out Silly Chili loves good healthy snacks and encouraging notes.